Monday 23 November 2015

Informal letters

We have moved on to writing informal letters. Below are the worksheets we have been using in lessons. 

Generic informal letter structure

Your address, e.g.:

Baz Bazinga
12 Bishop’s Avenue
London
SW6 6EG


The date in long form, e.g.:

15th September, 2015


Dear Anna

Or whatever the name of the person you are writing to is. You will usually be allowed to choose the name yourself.


In the first paragraph, ask how the person is and what he/she has been up to in an informal way, e.g.

How’s it going?

Then tell him/her what you’ve been up to, e.g.

I’ve been studying for my GCSEs, which is really boring. At the weekends I’ve been taking Karate lessons …



In the second paragraph, respond to the question, so, for example, if you are writing to your friend in hospital, ask him/her how he/she ended up there.


In the third paragraph, say you hope that you will see whoever you are writing to soon.


Sign off informally, e.g.

Lots of love


Write your first name only



Generic informal letter prompt sheet

Key words
Nouns

Hospital
Illness
Injury
Birthday
Christmas
X Box
PlayStation
DVD
Television
Holiday

Verbs

Studying
Reading
Swimming
Running
Playing
Sleeping
Healing
Resting
Eating
Having

Adjectives

Quiet
Loud
Exciting
Boring
Interesting
Great
Fun
Painful
Brilliant
Terrible
Useful sentences/ideas

How’s it going?

What have you been up to?

I hope you’re okay.

I hope to see you soon.

I’ve been
·         Reading loads of books
·         Watching lots of television
·         Swimming
·         Learning to play the flute
·         Playing lots of X Box



Francis Benali
12 Bishop’s Avenue
Fulham
SW6 6EG

1st October 2015

Dear Tiffany,

How are you? Actually, that’s kind of a silly question – I know how you are, you’ve got a broken leg. But how are you generally? I’ve been okay – a bit nervous about exams, so I haven’t been sleeping that well, but I’m mainly good. What are you going to do about your exams? Will they let you take them in the hospital?

I was thinking that when you get out of hospital, we could go bowling. Remember how we used to love going when we were kids, well, we haven’t been for years, so we should do that again. It was always so much fun. We could also go to the cinema – there are loads of new films out that I want to see, although I guess they’ll all be finished by the time you’re out. Oh well, I’m sure there’ll be loads of new films out by then. I must get by the hospital to come and see you soon. I haven’t been yet because I’ve been revising so hard, but that’s not really much of an excuse because friends are more important than exams. How about next Wednesday? I should be free from about 2pm onwards.

Anyway, I have to go – got more revision to do, obviously, but hopefully I’ll see you soon.

Lots of love,

                             Francis


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.