Monday 9 November 2015

How to write a job application letter

There are various scenarios in which you might write a formal letter. They include:

* Applying for a job
* Complaining about something
* Giving your views about something

So far, we have focussed on applying for a job. Below are some examples of job application letters and some stuff you can use to help you when you write your own.


Applying for a job as a teacher

Professor Jane McGonagall,
7 McTavish Street,
Edinburgh,
ED1 1ED.

12th November, 1972

The Headmaster,
Hogwarts,
1 Hogwarts Street,
HO1 1HO

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you to apply for the position of teacher at Hogwarts School, having seen the advertisement in the newspaper.

I feel I would be excellent for the position as I perform extremely well as part of a team, but can work independently to complete tasks. In addition to this, I am reliable, hard-working, and have good communication skills.

You will also see from my CV, which I have included with this letter, that I have five years’ experience of teaching and a university degree in spells. I have worked in both the state and private sector, and have a track record of achieving outstanding results. Furthermore, I have leadership experience, having been both a Head of Department and Head of Faculty in two of the schools I have worked in.

I am sure you will agree, therefore, that I am the ideal candidate for this position. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Jane MacGonagall


Applying for a job at a cafe

Mark Quillfeldt
12 Amberley Crescent
Putney
SW1 7EG

4th November 2015

Sunrise Café
12-15 Fulham Palace Road
Fulham
SW6 6EG

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you because I am interested in applying for the position of barista in your establishment. I believe I would be ideal, for the reasons given below.

Firstly, I am an excellent communicator and am very good at interacting with customers. Secondly, I am calm and cope extremely well under pressure. Thirdly, I am hard working, energetic, and am punctual. I have outstanding leadership skills, but I am also able to work effectively as part of a team.

In terms of experience, I spent three years working in a branch of Starbucks in Putney, where my duties included making and serving drinks, cleaning and washing dishes, managing the stock, which involved signing off on deliveries and making sure the stock cupboard was always full. During this time, I was promoted to the role of manager, which involved me making sure nothing went wrong, managing the staff and overseeing the general running of the café. I also have several relevant qualifications, including a GCSE in Food Technology and a health, hygiene and food safety certificate.

For these reasons, I am sure you will agree that I am the perfect candidate for the job and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours faithfully

Mark Quillfeldt


Generic job application letter structure 

Your address, e.g.:

Mr Quillfeldt
12 Bishop’s Avenue
London
SW6 6EG


The date in long form, e.g.:

15th September, 2015


The address of the person you are writing to, e.g.:

The Manager
Sunrise Café
16 Cornwall Road
FS1 1FS


If you don’t know the name of the person you are writing to, start Dear Sir/Madam.

If you do know the name of the person you are writing to, start Dear Mr if it is male, or Ms if it is a female.


In the first paragraph, explain why you are writing the letter, e.g.:

I am writing to you to apply for the position of …

Then explain where you saw the job advertised, e.g.:

I saw the job advertised online/in a shop window/in a newspaper (pick one).


In the second paragraph, explain what skills you have that would be useful, e.g.:

I am a good team player


In the third paragraph, explain what relevant experience and qualifications you have, e.g.:

I spent two years working in a café.
I have a food hygiene certificate.


In the fourth paragraph, sum everything up, e.g.:

For these reasons, I believe I would be ideal for the job and I look forward to hearing from you soon.


Sign off. If you know the name of the person you are writing to, use Yours sincerely. If you don’t know the name of the person, use Yours faithfully.


Write your name




Generic job application letter prompt sheet

Skills

Leadership

Being a team player

Good communication skills

Being independent and industrious

Confident

Following instructions


Experience/qualifications

Working in a similar job for a certain number of years

A university degree

GCSEs/A Levels

Certificates

Nouns

Independence
Motivation
Help
Creativity
Imagination
Skills
Position
Job
Experience

Verbs

Working
Communicating
Helping
Thinking
Doing
Understanding
Motivating
Assisting
Leading



Adjectives

Independent
Understanding
Efficient
Motivated
Creative
Imaginative
Dynamic
Industrious
Resourceful





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.